Brief history of the law: Induced abortions by medical indication have been performed since 1940, mainly to preserve the mother’s health.
In 1989, amendments to the Health Protection Law were “A woman has the right to decide on her motherhood”.
Legal context of abortion: Article 36, Health Law of Mongolia (1998):
36.1. Abortion should be performed only in the facilities that meet the requirements and be performed by medical doctors who have been certified.
36.2. The regulations related to abortion in article 36.1 should be approved by the central government administrative body in charge of health issues.
Second trimester abortion is restricted and performed only by decision of Medical Committee. Late abortion is only legally allowed next criteria:
- If it is determined that the pregnancy threatens the life and/or health of the mother and/or fetus.
- At the requests of women if she is aged less than 16 and a woman over 45 years old
- If the woman has a mental disorder
- If it is determined that the pregnancy is the result of incest
- If the pregnancy is due to rape
Government policy is expressed by the enabling for the law and legalization of abortion throughout the country.
National standard on “Comprehensive abortion care” was developed in 2005 and training on this standard was conducted among obstetricians who work for public and private sector both.
Abortion services available at 1st trimester, average cost 20USD and 2nd trimester, free, in some cases patients buy medicines (misoprostol and mifepriston).
Abortion services available for hospitals with accreditations during 1st Trimester. Cost is
variable for each clinic.
Surgical abortion (MVA) available at 1st trimester, average cost 20USD and 2nd trimester, free, in some cases patients buy medicines (misoprostol and mifepriston).
Misoprostol 1 tablet = 3 USD • Mifepriston 1 tablet = 2 USD
Only Ob Gyn
Unsafe abortion providers exist.
By the end of 2007, the population of Mongolia reached 2.35 million: an increase about 31.8 thousand people or 1.2 percent, compared to 2006. Of the total population, 61.0 percent is living in cities, and the remaining 39.0 percent resides in rural areas. Moreover, 1034.8 thousand people reside in Ulaanbaatar city. Male residents make up 48.7 percent of the total population, while females make up 51.3 percent. Around 28.9 percent of the population is under 15 years of age, 67.0 percent is between 15-64 years old, and 4.1 percent is 65 and over.
Health statistics for 2007 demonstrate the abortion ratio was 283.6 abortions per 1000 live births and 20.2 abortions per 1000 women of reproductive age. Abortion in later pregnancy was 4.1%, which in comparison with last year increased by 0.4 points.
By age group, 6.2% of total abortions were among those aged between 20-34 years, and 25.1% among women aged 35 and over. In comparison with last year the abortion rate increased all age groups. Almost half (46.0%) of all women who have undergone induced abortions have experienced abortions first time and 16% of them are students.
enabling, provides adequate funding to run training and service delivery program
Supportive, conscientious objectors
- Conduct “Comprehensive abortion care” trainings for ObGyn doctors in Mongolia
- Provision of abortion services (MVA -1st trimester and Medical abortion- 2hd trimester,)
- Conduct survey on abortion care
- Operating “Comprehensive Abortion Care” model clinic
- MCHRC did not start use medical abortion at 1st trimester yet.
- Master trainer and researcher of “Comprehensive abortion care”
- Provision of abortion care
- I worked by team leader for developing National standard on “Comprehensive abortion care”.